Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sunday Morning

A friend said to me recently that she really loved coming over to our house on Sunday mornings because it's just so cozy. It might be because I have an obsession with bacon, and only allow myself to make it on lazy weekend mornings. It might be because of my amazing coffee maker, which I put out actual sugar and creamer for, in their appropriate containers. It might be because listening to Prairie Home Companion replay on MPR and futzing around on the computers it just the perfect solution to a long week.

I came home on Friday night and was just completely and totally overwhelmed. Several glasses of wine, homemade pizza, and hot-from-the-oven flourless chocolate cupcakes (via Martha) thanks to the wonderful U, I figured out why it had been such a stressful day. It wasn't because any of my patients or clients were particularly challenging, although it was in no way a piece of cake to get through my day. Instead it was because of interpersonal staff issues. Guys, our job is tough enough. We are with people at some of the most wonderful and most difficult times of their lives, it is very emotional. Even our day to day drivel is emotional, and occasionally time-consuming and challenging. We do not need to fuss at each other while coping with this. A work-place should be a place of respect. You should understand that while there is a loose hierarchy in terms of who has more schooling, it's more divided into who has the best skills to do each job. We all have the same boss, and as long as you are not endangering anyone's health or screwing up what people are supposed to pay, he really doesn't care.

I vented a lot, drank a little more wine, and called it a night after playing some wonderful games. Saturday at work my optimism had returned. I was the only one, but baby steps are sometimes all you can get. We missed a friend's going away party yesterday because I can't read an e-mail (it was 12-5, not 5-12), and that made me a teensy bit cranky. Best Friend isn't in labor yet. Today I slept in and had bacon for breakfast, which brings us back to the beginning. But this time, I'll tell you that I have Bailey's in my coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment